|The lots of Bachelors Grove Cemetery. Original map in Tinley Park Historical Society.|
I hope that, in reading it, you are transported not only through space to the burial ground today, but through time to the years these noble people made their mark here.
The Lots and the Stones
There are 82 lots at Bachelors Grove Cemetery, some with one or two burials, a couple of them seeminglly empty, and some with multiple burials. Historians have in the past estimated that there were between 135 and two hundred burials in the cemetery between 1838 and 1989. Unfortunately, again, there are no known burial records for Bachelors Grove Cemetery. The only known notations made by the Trustees were of ownership or transfers of the lots, and these only beginning after 1860, more than two decades after the first known burials. Therefore, creating a picture of the actual interments (also taking into account the possibility of undiscovered re-interments) is, in short, a pretty much impossible task. Heroic attempts to make sense of the situation were made twice. First, by the students of history teacher Earnest Wilkinson at Bremen High School in the 1970s. Mark Preston and other students read the stones and researched the graves as part of their Bicentennial History Project of 1976. Through their research Preston came to believe that the cemetery is older that has been believed, possibly dating to 1832 or even earlier.
|John Cachel's map of remaining stones at Bachelors Grove. |
One additional stone has been returned since this drawing was made.
|One of the Everdons, the original owners of the Bachelors Grove Cemetery |
land,is believed to be pictured here, left.
No evidence of Everdon burials at Bachelors Grove, however, has been found.
For the past several years, Bachelors Grove historian Wendy Moxley Roe and I have separately and together attempted to track down as much actual burial documentation as possible, in order to present a more accurate picture of the interments at the Grove, starting with Mr. Bettenhausen’s record and incorporating county vital records, funeral home registries, obituaries and other newspaper articles, public and private family trees.
Though many of the graves around the perimeter of the cemetery are listed on the ownership map as “Unsold,” and presumably empty, in the spring of 2016 we surveyed the cemetery with dowsing rods to confirm that the lots marked as unsold actually are empty. Most of these "unsold" lots have as many as eight burials on them. There is literally no way of knowing the occupants of these graves, unless a burial registry surfaces in the future. We believe these were "potters" graves which were used for indigent neighbors. As was customary, such graves were likely never marked with headstones.
There are fewer than twenty headstones, markers or bases which still remain at Bachelors Grove today. Entering the cemetery from the old Turnpike road and the southeast quadrant (to the right), the visitor encounters the largest grouping of stones in the burying ground. These are also the earliest burials. The remains of the markers nearest the entrance are believed to be the remnants of Fulton family stones, from the fence to the stone marked "Wheeler.”
John Fulton, Sr., and his wife, Jane Johnson, were both born in Ireland and immigrated to America in 1839. The made their way west to the burgeoning Illinois lands outside of Chicago, where they purchased eighty acres of the wooded area of Bremen Township known then as Bachelors Grove.
The couple bore fourteen children on the farm
they operated in Bremen Township. At the
time of his death in 1883, Fulton had become the most influential and respected
of the area’s citizens, owning more than a thousand acres of land, with his
family closely tied to the administration of the community, as his descendants
still are in Tinley Park today. As a
young couple raising their family in the recent “Indian lands” of the Illinois
wilds, local Native Americans would come each morning to the Fulton farm for
milk, often returning after the day’s hunt with a cut of deer meat for Jane to
prepare for the family. During the
building of the Rock Island railroad, the Fultons boarded the workers for ten
cents a day meals and free lodging.
|James Fulton, one of John & Jane's children, plows on his land,|
current day Yankee Woods Forest Preserve.
Two of John and Jane’s children, Ella and Robert, are also interred here. According to local oral history, Robert committed suicide at the age of 31 by walking in front of a Rock Island train near present day Tinley Park, sometime before 1935. Ella’s husband, Chauncey Wheeler, also rests here with his wife, their graves marked by the Wheeler marker, often toppled. Amazingly, Joseph Fulton, born in the 1770s, is also interred here: the father of John, Sr. and Hamilton Fulton. According to old records, a large white obelisk once stood here, reading
Joseph Fulton, Died 15 Oct 1852 at the age of 80
|Photo: Wendy Moxley Roe|
Near the Fultons is the iconic “Moss” marker, which is only the base of a complete marker that once towered here. However, when family members found that the granite obelisk topping the base had been dragged nearly to the road, the marker was given into the care of the Tinley Park Historical Society, cleaned and placed outside the Society headquarters at the Old Landmark Church, where it may be seen today. Thomas Moss's life, like many residents of the Grove, was often visited by death. His first wife, Isabella, died in 1848 after a thirteen year marriage. The couple had seven children, two of whom were stillborn and two of whom died in childhood. After Isabella's death, Thomas married Sarah McGettingen, who passed away less than a year later. Two years later, Thomas wed again. His third wife, Anna
Turney, was the sister
of Hulda Turney Fulton, buried under the famed Fulton Stone near the quarry
pond. This third marriage produced seven
more children, of whom one was stillborn and two died in infancy. Then, in 1885, Anna and her last child died
in childbirth. Thomas never married
again. Isabella is buried here with
|Moss stone top portion tipped over in cemetery before|
being given to the Tinley Park Historical Society.
Photo by Robert Patterson.
|The recovered top of the Moss stone is|
at the Tinley Park Historical Society today.
Also in this quadrant is the lot of the Crandall family, now unmarked. The Crandall brothers were some of the most colorful characters in Cook County in its earliest days, well known at Chicago, and not a little notorious. In 1833 Heman Crandall (sometimes called Herman in records), then 21, left the shores of Lake Champlain in New York and walked more than 800 miles to Chicago. He also went back and forth on visits twice more--on foot. Two of his brothers--David and Mark-- made the journey to Chicago by canoe, and at the first government land sale in Illinois, held at the Bull's Head tavern on Lake Michigan, the brothers purchased prairie lands in Bremen Township for $1.25 an acre. Some of the Crandalls went on to settle in present-day Worth, then called Lane's Island, building the first houses there. The Crandalls were typical of the very earliest settlers, who spent most of their lives not as farmers but as loggers, moving west with the expanding frontier. When he was 69 years old Ben Crandall went on to Nebraska, where he purchased a substantial tract of largely unimproved land, intending to divide it among his children. Returning later to Bremen Township, he continued to farm until his death in his late '70s. Mark Crandall's daughter, Alma, was only sixteen years old at the time of her death and burial at Bachelors Grove in 1870. His surviving daughter, Electa, lost her own daughter, Clara Webber, when the infant was only three weeks old. She was also buried at Bachelors Grove. Several of the Crandall family members interred at the Grove were reinterred at Mount Greenwood Cemetery in Blue Island in 1895, on the same day. It is uncertain if any of the grave markers on the Crandall family lot at Mount Greenwood originally stood in Bachelors Grove. In 1935, however, at least one Crandall grave marker remained at Bachelors Grove: that of Alvah Crandall, who died in July of 1843 at the age of 39. His stone was still present in 1935, when it was mentioned in a newspaper article. No re-interment records exist for Alvah. It is presumed he remains at the Grove.
Lot 43 is home to settler Richard Moss and family, including wife Maria and numerous children and spouses. There are three stones remaining, including Richard’s headstone showing his name and dates. A landmark here on the lot until very recently was the “Split Tree,” which was strangely beloved by visitors. Its double trunk split almost to the ground for years, a friend of the Grove in its last year chained the trunks together, hoping to keep them from falling apart altogether, but county maintenance crews finally sawed them down to the stumps. Remaining at their base, however, are the twin markers of John McKee and Delaney Ann (Hulett) McKee. Born in 1854 to pioneer parents, before her death in 1920 Delaney Ann was a twenty-five year veteran teacher in the Cook County schools, including at the famed Stone School at Bachelors Grove.
|The Patrick Stone, out of place as usual, |
has been "moving" since at least 1951.
Nearby is the lot of the Patrick family, which is home of the famed “moving tombstone”—one of the most recognizable stones at Bachelors Grove. One of the earliest known photos of Bachelors Grove Cemetery—which appeared in a local paper in 1951 and which refers to the burial ground as “Smith’s Cemetery” in the article—shows the stone had by then already moved from its appointed spot. Keep in mind that this years after vandalism began at the Grove, so one assumes that it was vandals, and not spirits, who first began to move it. The Patrick family’s most famous member was Amelia Patrick, who married Senator John Humphrey, whose “Humphrey House” historical museum still operates today in Orland Park?? Amelia and John’s infant daughter, Libby May Humphrey, rests at Bachelors Grove, where she and her mother are the source of much talk in paranormal circles, of which more later.
Past the area known as “The Pines” is the stone marking the Rippet family lot, which was last photographed upright in 1951. The Rippets were dairy farmers in Blue Island, and James Rippet was a Blue Island police officer. The farming members moved to Oregon, Illinois later in life. and in the very far corner of this quadrant is the lot marked by the stone of William Hamilton, whose identity is unknown. Though other Hamiltons are buried elsewhere in the cemetery, we do not at this time know if this is a relation, as burial records for a related William do not match up. This plot is, however, believed to be the burial site of the oldest known burial here—that of William Noble in 1838, his marker long gone.
Continuing north along the east fence wall, visitors can see the severe erosion that began after the flood of 2013 , worsened by the recent removal of wild and cultivated plants that helped to curtail earlier erosion, and along the fence line of the northeast quadrant the ground slopes dangerously down into a small stream of runoff water. In lot 4 is Emma Schmidt, who grew up in Bachelors Grove as part of the Schmidt family, who lived in the last houses in the Grove. Her grandparents are also interred at Bachelors Grove, either in this plot or in plot number 24.
|Bernard Deck with Edward Schmidt. Ed's childhood home was the last to stand in the Grove. Photo: Bob Schmidt|
In this quadrant visitors find the lots of the Deck family and the Shields family. Joseph and Jennie (Deck) Niklas were two of five family members killed in July of 1921 when their car stalled on tracks at 90th street and Vincennes Avenue and was struck by a freight train. Bernard Deck, Jennie's brother, is also interred here.
|Desecration of the Deck family lot in the 1970s. Newspapers.com|
|The Shields family monument on the day of the|
last burial in the cemetery, October 1989.
Photo by Clay Krueger.
The last burial at Bachelors Grove was at the Shields family plot. The Shields stone is one of the largest still remaining at Bachelors Grove, though it toppled long ago. The burial was of the ashes of Robert Shields in 1989, when Mortician Clay Krueger made the trek to the cemetery with a family friend of the deceased to inter the cremains. The photo here shows the state of the family marker the day of the burial in 1989.
The northwest quadrant of the cemetery houses two important sites for visitors: the Fulton Stone and the entrance to the quarry pond. Also here is some of the only coping (stone fencing) found in the cemetery today, marking more mysterious graves. Original cemetery plat notations assign these to Louis and Johanna Buch, but while there was a couple with these names living nearby, they farmed in Palos and are buried in Worth. No burial records have been found for this lot, though a 1935 newspaper article describes a headstone or headstones indicating that the Buchs are, indeed, interred here.
|The Fulton Stone was recently reinforced by a volunteer who brought dirt and stones|
from the creek bed to steady the stone against recent erosion. Myriad
gives for Marci May Fulton, the "Infant Daughter," can be seen.
Photo: Wendy Moxley Roe
The most famous tombstone at Bachelors Grove Cemetery is also the largest of the few still standing. The “Fulton Stone” has stood through generations of varying tranquility and turmoil, not unlike the dynamic family interred below. The Fulton family stone stands on an increasingly unstable base where the path splits, one artery leading into the cemetery’s northwest quadrant and the other down to the old quarry beyond the northern fence.
The Fultons would emerge as one of the most important and influential families of the Bachelors Grove and Tinley Park communities. An extensive network of parents, siblings, children and grandchildren, the Fulton line still thrives in Tinley Park and even became world famous through marriage into the Bettenhausen family of racing fame. One of the children of John Fulton, Sr., John Fulton, Jr. (pictured above with his wife, Hulda and several children) was interred at Bachelors Grove after his death in 1922. The dates on the stone silently tell some of the tragic family story of the Fultons. Though infant and child mortality was high at the time they lived, the Fultons experienced more than their share, losing son Johnnie B. at the age of ten, and an older son, Frank, at 32. John’s brother, Robert Fulton, took his own life by throwing himself in front of a train at the age of thirty-one. Daughter Luella Fulton was struck by a hit and run driver in January of 1937 while walking on Oak Park Avenue (Batchelor Grove Road) at the age of 65. Abandoned in a ditch, her cries were finally heard by a passerby, but Luella died of internal injuries in a nearby hospital.
Today, thousands of visitors each year make the ritualistic visit to the Fulton stone, many bringing toys, candy, stuffed animals and flowers to place at the attendant stone reading “Infant Daughter,” which marks the grave of little Marcia May Fulton, daughter of John and Hulda’s son, Bert Fulton, and his wife, and Katherine Vogt. The Vogt family was one of the most important families in Bremen Township, but according to local historians, the Fultons and Vogts did not get along very well at the time, and the Vogts did not approve of their daughter's marriage to Bert. Marrying anyway, the two gave birth to a daughter, who perished. Though the Vogts owned a large mausoleum, which may still be seen today, in Tinley Park's Zion Lutheran Cemetery, the child was buried the child at the Fulton lot at Bachelors Grove. Years later, after her own death, Katherine was interred in town, far from her infant child. Some wonder if it is, then, her ghost who wanders the cemetery, dressed in white, in search of her baby.
The stone of little Emma Fulton, aged 11 days, was also placed here upon her death and burial at the lot, then was stolen from Bachelors Grove but recovered. It is today in the care of the Tinley Park Historical Society. The stone, in excellent condition due to its sheltered location, reads,
God's lovely bud, so young and fair
As time moved on, later Fultons began to choose burial in town, at Zion Lutheran Cemetery, where numerous children and grandchildren are interred. A cenotaph or memorial stone placed in Tinley Park’s Zion Cemetery near other Fulton family members commemorates the Fultons buried at Bachelors Grove, though no bodies have been moved.
|The stone of John Hamilton was recovered in recent|
years and returned to Bachelors Grove. John Hamilton's
father was one of the first "bachelors" of the Grove.
Photo: Wendy Moxley rose
Also in this quadrant is the lot of the John Hamilton family. The stone which resides here today was stolen at an undetermined time in the past but recovered in a recent summer, when Bachelors Grove advocate Peter Crapia was contacted by a Joliet man who had found it in his backyard years before but had no idea where it belonged. When he discovered that it belonged at the Grove, he contacted Crapia, who returned it to its proper location on the cemetery grounds. William Hamilton, John’s father, was one of the first “bachelors” to settle here. He traveled to New York City from County Down, Ireland, around 1830. He and Dexter Gilson—another original settler of Bachelors Grove-- boarded together in a local cabin before starting their own families. Gilson hosted one of the area’s first schools on his homestead nearby.
|Stephen Rexford Waren, top right.|
Also in the northwest quadrant is the lot of the Warren family. Ezra Snow Warren and his wife, Susan Lamsen went west from Vermont in the 1840s, having been given a wagon, a team of oxen and five hundred dollars in gold by their fathers as wedding gifts. Family tradition holds that Susan was a cousin of President Martin Van Buren.
Ezra and Susan had two sons who fought in the American Civil War. Stephen was enlisted for only three months, from July to October of 1862. Richard was captured at the Battle of Ware Bottom Church in Virginia, in June of 1864. He was incarcerated at Andersonville Prison (Fort Sumter) and was mustered out in December of 1865 in Norfolk, Virginia. Richard went on to marry Charlotte Hatch. They had a daughter, also Charlotte, in 1868. Family stories say he was “never the same” after the war. He died of tuberculosis at the age of thirty.
|Richard Warren's stone is one of several Warren family stones which have vanished. Photos: Warren Family.|
|The Flassig family was a large Bachelors Grove family. |
This is one line: The family of Robert Flassig, whose sister, Dora Flassig Newman, is interred at Bachelors Grove.
Photo: Flassig family.
The final quadrant is the northeast sector. Here lies the Newman family, near the west fence. Dora (Flassig) Newman was born in 1870 to Frank and Dora Flassig, a large Bachelors Grove family. Daniel Newman, Dora’s husband, was the son of John and Rosanna (Turney) Newman. Rosanna was the sister of Hulda (Turney) Fulton, buried at the large Fulton stone at Bachelors Grove. In the very corner of this quadrant is the last lot at Bachelors Grove, where an unmarked grave holds little Hattie Mae (Stratzenberg) Adams—also a Newman relation--, who was stillborn in 1909. Hattie Therese (Stratzenberg) Adams died in childbirth in 1913. She and baby Esther are also interred here in the last lot at Bachelors Grove.
|The Adams (Sturteznburg) family, filled with tragedy.|
Photo: Adams Family
Edna Wright Hardy Sanderson is in an unmarked grave here at Bachelors Grove, alone. An English native, she had seventeen children, several of whom came to Bremen Township to live. She visited Chicago during the World’s Fair of 1893, after the death of her husband. Returning to England and remarrying, she again visited Bremen Township after her second husband’s death. During that visit, Edna became too ill to return home. She passed away and was interred here. Her son, Albert, lived over the creek, likely in the house whose foundation may still be seen there today. Her mother was originally interred here but was moved to the family’s plot in town, where Albert and her other children are also interred. This woman, then, with two fruitful marriages and seventeen children, is alone at Bachelors Grove, an ocean away from home.
|Judy Huff's famous "Madonna of Bachelors Grove" photo.|
Also here, next to a tree stump, is the lot of James Fullerton, a Blue Island farmer born in Scotland. He met his wife, Sarah Chapman, in England in the 1860s, and the two immigrated to Illinois, where James farmed until his death. They are interred here together.
Across the path from the couple is the famed “checkered stone” or “quilted stone”: the scene where the “Madonna of Bachelor Grove” photo was taken in 1991. This is believed to be the base stone of a now-vanished monument to members of the Rick family, including two Mary Ricks, wives of the Rick brothers. The headstone photo below was taken by a little girl on an outing to the cemetery in the 1960s. The whereabouts of the stone or the rest of the monument are unknown.
At the cemetery entrance in this quadrant is the lot of the Hageman and Cool families, some of the earliest German settlers in Bremen Township, though the Cools were reinterred elsewhere.
|Lost headstone of John and Mary Rick.|
Many other burials remain here, under these stones and in unmarked graves. The process of learning about them all is an ongoing one. These have been shared to give readers and visitors a general idea of the community whose burial ground this was.
If you know the whereabouts of any of the missing stones of Bachelors Grove, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are working with the Midlothian Historical Society to recover as many of these stones as possible and house them in the Society headquarters for enjoyment and education by future generations. Thank you!